Sunday, January 21, 2018

The End: Part II

Fast forward to 2014 when (at a happy hour again, sheesh) Spencer attends my going away party from my job. I jokingly give him a hard time about never setting me up with nice guys when his eyes light up. “You know who’s single again? Derek.”

“C’mon, Spencer”, I say incredulously. “It’s been 3 years since that party… and I looked crazy that night. He doesn’t even know what I really look like. I had a blonde wig on!”

I pause. And then smile. Fuck it. “But whatever, show him a current picture of me and if he’s interested you can give him my number.”

At poker night soon thereafter, he shows Derek more recent pictures of me (He lets him stalk my facebook since he’s not on the facebook). I get a text from Spencer that simply says “Game on.” SCORE

He calls me. CALLS, people! He leaves a voicemail!! It’s super sweet and gives me the butterflies. Bad timing, though. I’m in California visiting my sister! Hmph.

So we did that thing where people actually talk on the phone. I call him while taking a walk and suddenly become very aware that I might be viciously attacked by mountain lions. Ha! (In case you’re curious, I am alive and well. No death by mountain lion) Our talks are easy. Comfortable. Fun.

I’m in California for Valentine’s Day and he sends me this:
So basically I have go go out with this guy. I mean... this is hilarious!

Once I get back Derek asks me to brunch. I remember what he looks like (and have pictures from the night we first met). But it’s been three years. Would I still think he’s cute?

I walk into Chadwicks where he’s sitting at the bar. The bartender nods in my direction and he turns around. My heart falls to the floor. He’s SO RIDICULOUSLY HANDSOME! All of the sudden I’m nervous and wondering if he thinks I’M cute as I walk upstairs to the table.

We are the obnoxious people who take 45 minutes to decide what to order since we’re too busy chatting. He finds ways throughout the meal to touch my arm and it’s like a jolt of electricity runs through me each time we touch. He puts me at ease telling me all of the bad things about him (an unfortunate middle name, some regrettable tattoos, etc). Says he just wants to get it all out in the open upfront. He’s handsome AND funny. ::Swoon::

That spark we both felt that first night is still there. Our brunch date at 11 am turns into an 8 hour adventure of looking at local art, walking around Old Town Alexandria and ending up at a Vietnamese restaurant for dinner.


There is a moment in front of a fountain; with the sun shining down on us that is absolutely perfect… His hazel eyes are staring deeply into mine and I get squirrelly and look away to break the tension. Just then a soft breeze blows my hair into my face. He pushes it back and gently kisses me. ::heart explodes:: 

No comments:

Post a Comment