Sunday, February 12, 2012

I Haven't Been There for the Longest Time

Airplanes. They are the new bars. Think about it – it’s the perfect scenario… you’re trapped for hours in a confined space with strangers. Sound like a claustrophobic nightmare? Not for me! I’m at the airport waiting for my flight to Colorado for my best friend’s 30th birthday extravaganza. I’m pleasantly surprised by how many good looking, strapping men are in the waiting area for the Denver flight. Feeling pleased that I had actually put on a little makeup and done my hair, I mosey over to a particularly handsome fella and plop myself down next to him.

He’s eating a sub and I ask him mid-bite if this is the flight to Denver. He nods yes and that’s all it takes, folks. We are chatting the rest of the time and the poor guy never even gets to finish his sub. He’s definitely a military guy – shaved head, muscles and polite as can be. We board the plane and funny how the universe helps you out once in a while. My seat is literally one row in front of his. No one sits next to him and he motions for me to join him. I ask the flight attendant if it’s okay to switch seats and she gives me a knowing smirk.
Kevin and I talk the entire time on the 3.5 hour flight to Denver. Life, love and everything in between. He’s got brains AND brawn AND looks like a cross between Viggo Mortensen and Robert Sean Leonard. It’s okay, go ahead - look those two people up on the interwebs to see what I’m talking about. Hot.
I meet up with Lola, her sister and 3 friends at the hotel and tell them about the handsome man I met. We are leaving Denver in the morning, though, and he lives in Colorado Springs anyway. Bummer. Oh well, c’est la vie! We head to Glenwood Springs and spend the next few days exploring the wild west – hiking, eating, drinking and a little dancing. Colorado is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited. Epic scenery.

On our last night we head back to Denver and have plans to go to a karaoke bar after a sushi feast. Kevin and I have been texting back and forth and he and his friend Brody are driving up from Colorado Springs to hang out with us. I’m both excited and nervous to see him again.
I may have failed to mention that Lola and all of her friends are professional singers. Like for real. I am a mediocre singer at best but I can hold my own at karaoke. Kevin and Brody are not enthused about singing and I give both of them a hard time because hey, it’s a karaoke bar. Man up!


Tee hee. He makes me get up and sing with him which I acknowledge is only fair. It is nauseatingly cute especially when he puts his arm around me while we are singing lyrics like “I took my chances, I forgot how nice romance is… I haven’t been there for the longest time.” Swoon.
Lola brings the house down with her rendition of Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep” and we are among the last patrons to leave the bar at 2 am. What happens next is surreal and it feels like we’re in high school again. We don’t have anywhere to go but we don’t want to go home. So we stand outside and just laugh for hours and hours. Pretty sure we covered all of the bases and have made fun of every race, religion, political affiliation and stereotypes imaginable. Including leprechauns. We are out there until 4:30 am. Not kidding. No one wants this night to end so we end up going to Denny’s.

It’s now almost 6 am and most of us have early morning flights to catch and both Kevin and Brody have shifts at 8 am for their military jobs. Kevin and I say goodbye with a long hug and I can’t help but feel disappointed that I didn't get my make out. I have no clue if I will ever see this man again but he has reminded me of a valuable lesson that my grandmother taught me a long time ago: always look cute when going to the airport. You never know who’s going to be on your flight!

No comments:

Post a Comment