Tuesday, July 17, 2012

From Ireland with Love Part I

A friend recently asked me why I hadn’t updated my blog. He asked me if I had been “tamed.” HA! I scoffed. Not to fear, friends! I am still single and manpaging it up.

One reason for the delay? I took a month-long trip to Ireland. By myself. After my break up I had a strange desire to go to Ireland. I can’t tell you why. Wait, that’s a lie. What’s better to heal the heart than gorgeous, strapping men with delicious accents? I thought to myself “It’ll be like P.S. I Love You without all the death.”


I didn’t have it planned really… I knew vaguely some of the places I wanted to visit but I purposely left it open-ended so I could have the freedom to roam. My first week there was spent on a bike. As in, I rented a bicycle from a company and they gave me some maps and basically said “good luck!” There were two other crazy people doing the same thing as me but I had no idea who they were. What if they didn’t want to hang with me? What if they were old and boring? Worse still, what if they were newlyweds and would send daggers through my heart with their nuptial bliss?
Sometimes the universe helps you out. Kat and Jackie are two of the most interesting, incredible, compassionate and fun people I’ve ever met. They’ve been married for 14 years and yes, they’re lesbians. Although to be fair, with bike clothes on – and me wearing a bandana most of the time – it was tough to tell which one was not like the others.
It’s exactly what I needed… to be around a couple who are truly meant to be together. I felt overwhelmed with gratitude to NOT have married the wrong person. Kat told me I needed to find my “Jackie” – someone that complements your areas of strengths and weaknesses. Unless she was insinuating I start dating women. Hmmm... I’m not *quite* there yet.  
Okay, all of this soul-searching is nice and all. But what about the Irish men?! Ha. You just want the dirty details. I get it. Here we go:

Number of make outs: 7


Number of times I was proposed to: 4

Number of pints of Guinness consumed: 104


Number of nights singing and playing guitar: 16

Number of pictures of puffins: HUNDREDS


Number of hearts broken: too many to count


Number of hearts healed: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment