Friday, July 27, 2012

How Does This Keep Happening?

It's Friday night which can mean only one thing: hockey. I head to the bar after our game and am having a few beers with my teammates. One of my teammate's friends is a cute guy from Colombia and we hit it off. He asks for my number and I figure "why not?" I even agree to give him a ride to the metro - what can I say? I'm a very generous person. Colombian man saunters off to talk to some other people and I'm left at a table with the opposing team.

O'Brien tells us he needs to go compliment a random dude on his hair. We all exchange glances like “whaaaa?” but it’s probably just that O’Brien has hair-envy. He’s bald. A minute later he’s back with the man and says to everyone “doesn’t he have incredible hair?” I’m caught off-guard because that is NOT the only incredible thing this man has. Holy shit. He’s gorgeous. Not only does he have rockstar hair but he has intense blue/green eyes, an eyebrow piercing, long eyelashes and nice lips. THEN he opens his mouth. He has an AUSTRALIAN accent. Be still my heart. Somehow it comes out that he’s there meeting the bartender who also plays guitar. Stop. It. He plays guitar! It’s over.

Colombian man is looking at me from across the room and is trying to get my attention. He’s ready to leave. Crap. I say to Craig, Mr. Aussie, that I’d love to see him again but don’t know how to give him my number without being awkward. He pulls out his phone and instructs me to keep talking while he holds his phone under the table. Nice. Whew. I give him a knowing smile and walk out of the bar.

You may remember Colombian man from this previous post:
http://flingstress.blogspot.com/2012/03/are-you-kidding-me.html He's the key snatcher. Anyway. Back to Craig.

He calls me that night and leaves a delicious voicemail in his delicious aussie accent. We make plans to jam at my apartment a few nights later. He lives kind of far away in Fredericksburg but says he doesn't mind driving to see me.


He shows up at my door…

I racked my memory for any piece of conversation where he might have mentioned his wife to me. Fair enough there were moments where time stood still and I just got lost in those ridiculous eyes... but c'mon. I would've remembered that! Worse yet – his wife was AT the bar the night we met! That's why he was more than happy to hold his phone under the freakin' table. What are men thinking?!

Final thought: he wasn’t wearing a wedding ring. My friend’s fiancĂ© (also an aussie named Craig coincidentally) recently told her that he doesn’t want to wear a ring. He says there are loads of guys who don’t. I agree. They’re called cheaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment