Friday, August 10, 2012

Highway to My Heart


Do I need to explain this? Okay, fine. I am about to fall asleep when a pick-up truck pulls up beside me. It’s a cute guy. All of the sudden I’m not tired anymore! There is some car flirting – he passes me and then I pass him.  Like something 16 year old Jamie would’ve done in high school.  He holds up his phone motioning for me to give him my number. I give my phone number (holding up one finger at a time) to this man on the freeway going 75 mph. He calls me and we talk for 45 minutes. Doesn’t everyone do this?
His name is John. He drives a manly truck. He’s very attractive (from the chest up) and is 27 years old. It’s amazing the things you’ll divulge to a complete stranger you’ve just met. He tells me his life story – he went to jail for a few years after stealing beer at the age of 17. He realized he’d never be able to get a white collar job even after 4 years of college so he started his own business. Now he volunteers at juvenile centers and talks to the youth there. I’m impressed by him. In general I’m impressed by people who have made mistakes and have learned from them. He has a maturity that isn’t common in a 27 year old man.

He tells me he’s going to pull over to stop for gas and that I should stop with him. What the hell? Why not – it’s day light… what could go wrong? I pull up behind him and he gets out.  Still cute (from the chest down). Whew. He thanks me for making his drive more interesting.  Then he asks if I’d like to meet his daughter. Um. WHAT? On the outside I’m cool as a cucumber but on the inside I’m wondering who I am right now. 
His 2 year old daughter is asleep in the back of his truck. She’s adorable and strangely enough it’s endearing. Especially after hearing that he fought for shared custody of her and drives 14 hours just to pick her up.  AND he goes to church every week! ::swoon::

We say our goodbyes and I continue on to Ohio for a gathering of my college friends. I recount the story to them and they’re not pleased.  I suppose it sounds bad… meeting convicted felons at gas stations.  My friend’s lawyer husband immediately says “no way he went to jail for 2 years just for stealing some beer.” So cynical!
In comparison to some of the wealthy, entitled men I’ve met recently, John is refreshing. He has been humbled by his experiences. He lives four states away but I would definitely go out with him should he ever be passing through. In the meantime, I will make sure I look at least somewhat cute in the car – never would’ve happened had I been wearing sweatpants with my hair in a ponytail!

No comments:

Post a Comment